Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Mount Doug Cave

I had to work today so I gave a suggestion to Sheila, Ben and Max that they explore the cave on Mount Doug.   Sheila and Ben know nothing of the cave so were very intrigued to hear about it.   It was interesting enough to Daniel that he rose from his bed and got dressed so that he could head out with them.

The cave is apparently an old copper mine, given the type of stone, that sounds plausible to me.  Over in Langford there are a lot of karst formations that do have many natural caves.

The entrance is on the southern slope of Mount Doug and right off of one of the main trails.   The opening is small, even if I was not my current corpulent size my claustrophopia would stop me from going in.

It is not a long shaft and it is never very tall.   Max could stand up but Ben and Daniel could not.

Here are some pictures:
Entrance of the cave

Daniel crawling to get in

Even Max had to crawl in - the light behind him is the entrance - it is a four meter narrow crawl





2 comments:

Mike Laplante said...

Wow, never knew about this. I'll have to check it out...

Unknown said...

There is a youtube video as well exploring the cave here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ca2BRuuCWU